I haven’t posted since last week I think. I knew this week was full of appointments and such and I wanted to wait and just do one post… because.. lazy. So this will be a long one…
On Tuesday I met with Dr. Atlas to consult for the TAC procedure. I WAS SO NERVOUS. So nervous that I got in and my blood pressure was 180/105!! His NP Malissa said “ummm, let’s have you sit and think happy thoughts for a while and we will repeat it after we are done with the doctor”. We did the repeat after the consultation and I was back to normal. I was really impressed with this doctor you guys. I had requested my records to be sent over from my OB’s office and he came to the consultation having reviewed everything. One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a provider who knows nothing about my history and I have to rehash everything for them. I also love that he is straightforward; after reviewing my history and checking my pressure and lab results (no diabetes or high blood pressure) he said “you’re healthy, you’re just… ” and I said “fat” and he started laughing and said “we don’t like to say that, we say overweight”. I said “you know I’m fat, I know I’m fat, you’re going to see my insides, let’s be frank and honest with each other”.
He thinks I’m a good candidate for the procedure but has asked me lose 20-30 lbs prior to surgery. He did say that they would/could still do the procedure without the weight loss but he wants me to be in the best possible cardiac health to increase my healing time and decrease my risks under anesthesia. Also, I’ve gained about 9 pounds since Lucas was born from being a couch lump so he has a good point. He cautioned me to not do anything crazy to lose weight just replace my drinks with water and add some walking…and maybe not have Talenti EVERY night.. it is a problem.. I need an intervention.
Prior to scheduling a surgery date he wants me to have an HSG (x-ray that is done with a dye injected into your uterus and fallopian tubes to check for any blockages or abnormalities) done to ensure that there is nothing else going on that we don’t know about prior to surgery. He was actually surprised that I had never had one done with my difficulty ovulating on my own. After those results, I’ll consult with Dr. Im who is the robotics guy. Dr. Atlas is confident we should be able to have surgery this end of May/June.
That same day I had my first therapy session and I love my new therapist!! She put me right at ease and in our first hour together we talked about so many things that I didn’t expect. She said we have a lot of work to do and I am so happy to have found her going forward with everything.
Yesterday, I had my last follow up with my OB. It was just a final check to make sure my cervix was back to normal and everything was back in place. All looks well. I got a Provera prescription from her to stop this on one day/ off three days bleeding that I’m still having and reset my cycle; the HSG has to be done on a certain cycle day and I have no idea where I am now. We also talked about Zika. Why Zika? Well, Hubbins side of the family does a Thanksgiving trip every two years. This year it is a cruise to the Bahamas..which has been in the planning process for a year now. I want to go; we need the vacation and he doesn’t want to go solo. We have been spearheading the whole process so we both can’t not go….but if I won’t be risking my fertility in anyway fooling with any mosquitoes on anyone’s behalf. Dr. H and I settled that if I’m pregnant in November, I won’t go.
I then had to talk to Hubbins last night to figure out what that meant with us trying. Do I want to be pregnant again? Yes. However, I don’t mind waiting. I need to build back up vacation time at work. We are looking into starting the process this fall to purchase a home; I would love to be moved in and have a baby’s room before we get started again. Also, I think we just need a break. When we lost Langston last May, I was back at the RE in August and we were trying again. I got pregnant with Lucas in November and we started back with appointments and such. I don’t think I want to jump back into the timed sects and the shots and the pills and the appointments. Our relationship needs some time; I am looking forward to getting back to the spontaneity that comes with ‘not trying’. So we decided, we are going to continue to take precautions until we have the procedure this summer; I am adamant about having the TAC in place prior to getting pregnant. Once that is done, we won’t take any precautions to prevent pregnancy, but we won’t start treatments with the RE again till after the cruise. If I get pregnant ‘naturally’ (something that has never happened but as they say “man plans and God laughs”) so be it; if it hasn’t happened by the end of November, I’ll go back to the RE and do the Letrazole and Ovidrel trigger again.
It feels good to have a plan.